1. Currently the relationship between police and communities across this great nation are strained to say the least. Perhaps it is more perception than reality, but as we learned, perception often becomes reality
For our last discussion, I want you to discuss with your classmates how you think we can collectively fix this. I’m looking for suggestions that offer solutions, not just re-stating what the problems are. For instance, many would say that the media adds to the problem, however we still have to contend with freedom of the press. Please feel free to think totally outside of the box.
1. List and explain five of Eck’s “Ten Ways to Undermine COPPS.” Respond in no less than 300 words.
2. Summarize the roles of detectives and patrol personnel in COPPS planning and implementation. Include in your discussion any common problems or complaints from these two groups. Respond in no less than 150 words.
3. Describe Lewin’s force field analysis and how it functions in anticipating and planning for resistance to change in organizations implementing COPPS. Respond in no less than 150 words.
4.Briefly discuss why it is important to evaluate COPPS. Name two methods used to evaluate the effectiveness of the program.
5.Describe three considerations for conducting surveys and three things that can be revealed through surveys.
6. Discuss four performance criteria for rating officers’ skills under COPPS. Respond in no less than 150 words.
7. Imagine you are a newly selected police chief in your city. The city manager has assigned you the task of forming a committee (no more than 20 persons) to begin early planning for the implementation of COPPS. Drawing from the discussion of internal and external stakeholders in the text, answer the following question: “In your community, what representatives of law enforcement, government, and the community are critical participants in order to properly address this scenario?” Discuss the makeup of their committee and explain their reasons for selecting its members. Respond in no less than 200 words.